Monday, June 23, 2008

Fool's Gold

Fool's Gold: Flopped. My wife and I rented Fool's Gold from Netflix and we were pretty disappointed. The movie starts off with a pretty cool boat explosion scene, but it went downhill from there.

I am normally a fan of Donald Sutherland's movies, and he was indeed one of the best characters in this movie. Matthew McConaughey keeps making the same movie with different titles, and this time it didn't pan out. Sahara was much better in my opinion. Kate Hudson is usually more interesting to watch as well. Perhaps the most annoying character was Gemma Honeycutt, played by Alexis Dziena. I have never seen her acting before, so I am giving her the benefit of the doubt here. She played a ditzy girl apparently modeled in look and voice after That 70's Show's character Jackie.

The whole movie I was trying to figure out if this was a romantic comedy or an action adventure. There were some funny scenes, I will admit. Kate Hudson beating all the bad guys with a shovel was definitely funny. The movie just didn't really go anywhere.

I will give the movie credit for some decent stunts. There were explions, a boat launching off a wave, a cliff-top motorcycle accident, and more. This is part of the reason I couldn't tell what genre the movie was supposed to be in.

The effects and Donald Sutherland contribute almost all of the points on this one. I don't recommend this movie. 1.5 out of 5.

RATING: (1.5 out of 5)

0 comments: